May 20, 2008

Linger Longer

There's a pot luck dinner every third Sunday after church in my singles ward. The Linger Longer they call it. I signed up to bring vanilla pudding, because I have a big can of instant vanilla pudding mix. Of course I didn't remember that I needed to make the pudding until right before we were about to leave for church so I had to do it quick (in an instant just like it was intended to be made). I made it in a big pot stirring it with a little spoon, which wasn't very effective, but we just don't have all the things I'd like to have in the kitchen. Basically it was still really lumpy as I was running out the door.
I recently received a calling in the ward to a committee that is in charge of the set up and take down for the Linger Longer. While I was setting up I overheard the sister that was putting the desserts out say that she wasn't sure if my pudding was a dessert or not. I'm not sure whether that was because my pudding didn't look like pudding, or the oven pot it was in made her second guess herself.
As my roommates Chris, Josh, and myself approached the dessert table at the Linger Longer my pudding had still been left untouched. Chris and Josh both said they'd pass, and I told them I'd just take the left overs home and eat it later. Just then, one guy at the dessert table asked one of the sisters that was helping serve what my pudding was. I kept my mouth shut and continued to watch. She responded that it was home-made tapioca pudding, and the guy proceeded to scoop some onto his plate. Well that one comment, as untrue as it was, had a snowball effect and before long my lumpy vanilla pudding went from untouched to cleaned out.
The pudding was an unsuspecting success that I think I'll bring again to the next Linger Longer, but if anyone asks it's tapioca.

3 comments:

Scotty B said...

i love tapioca!

Unknown said...

We've got Linger longer's every other week here in Cali. And then BBQ once a month.
It's great.
I'm bringing Milk and Oreos tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

haha, thats fantastic.. I think you may have started a tradition, I must try it sometime!