May 25, 2008

The Wild Side of Chicago

Up until last night the only raccoons I'd ever seen were road kill in the "suburbia" of Chicago. I'd seen a couple of possums running across the road, and I even saw a coyote earlier in the week. Squirrels are everywhere anyway, and there are enough rabbits that I wonder if they have any predators. But the raccoons, they had been eluding me. That is, until about 7:30pm last night. I was walking down Shady Ln when I spotted the furry masked bandit. It stopped dead in its tracks, turned, and stared at me with its back arched in a defensive cat-like pose. So that was another first for me. First actual raccoon sighting, cool huh? On the drive home that night we saw a rather large coyote near the road. Coyote number 2. The rabbits do have predators it appears.

No comments: