August 25, 2008

Ya wanna see a card trick?

I'm no magician by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have one card trick up my sleeve. I learned it from a friend at work, and I reserve it for those days of knocking doors when I need a little extra help putting a smile on my face. This is how it works:

Prospect: Sounds great, why don't you just give me your card and I'll think it over.
Me: Okay.

(Lesson one: if someone asks for your card when you come knocking on their door they don't plan on calling you. They just don't know how to say no.)
Me: Here you go.
(I reach into my pocket, pull out a baseball card and then hand it to them. Straight face. They take it. Wait a second... a quizzical expression comes across their face.)
Prospect: Uh? ...
Me: Oh, sorry.

(I reach out, take the card back, autograph it and then return it.)
Me: There you go.

Depending on their reaction to this there are a number of directions you take the trick. You can use it to redirect and continue the sale, or make a memorable exit from their doorstep. There was only one man I shared this trick with that didn't laugh at all. I still can't understand why he didn't get it. It had been more than a decade since I bought baseball cards, but let me tell you, that was the best dollar I ever spent on a pack of baseball cards (especially since it included a stick of gum)!

No comments: