August 13, 2008

Oh, the things you'll see...


At this point in the summer I've probably knocked about 7,000 doors. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Well, in those moments between when I knock on a door and they answer, I generally look around and admire the many things found on people's steps and porches. Whenever I see something of note and no one opens the door I usually whip out my phone and take a picture. First, let's examine a few of the notable porch geese you're sure to come across in Chicagoland.

Don't ask me why they dress up their geese. Sometimes people will try and break the goose mold by putting out penguins or something crazy and unexpected.

Then there are the homes that don't take very good care of their exteriors. No decorations, but plenty of spider webs in the corners. It didn't take me long to realize that a favorite spot for spider webs is right by the door bell.

Among other interesting insects I found an extremely furry caterpillar the other day. After some research I came to the conclusion that it was a caterpillar destined to become a moth and not an elegant butterfly. However, that did not diminish it's coolness in my nature guide book. It's orange antenna thing and suction cup feet were fascinating!

No, there is never a dull moment on the doors. But the most interesting things I find on the doors are most definitely the people that sometimes come out from behind them.

No comments: